Wow, it’s been a full week since my last “I Thought It Would Be Zombies…” update. Where does the time go!?! Oh, I know… the day job, a friend’s wedding, all those things collectively referred to as “life.” But, I’m managing to get in a good couple days of creative work here, and one of the items I put together was the image above.
In my last post, I hinted that this update would bring a first glimpse into the writing process, and believe it or not, it is. As a one man writer/artist “team,” large portions of the writing process can tend to take on a very visual workflow. Although I like to have a full, text only, script in the end, it may not be fully realized until quite far into the making of a comic book issue. Many story beats and bits of dialog come to me during the creation of the artwork itself. With quite literally hundreds of hours spent drawing, there’s no reason not to multi task and continue to mull over the plot and character interactions in the pages and issues to come as I work. Thus, I seldom will sit down for long stretches at a time strictly to write.
The image above is a rough breakdown of issue #1 of “I Thought It Would Be Zombies…” It helps me to fully plan the 32 pages of a printed comic and properly evaluate the pacing and layout. Years ago, when I made my first comic book, Seer, I was doing most everything “traditionally” instead of digitally. So this process for me was much the same, but instead done with a bunch of index cards, push pins, and a couple of cork boards. Now it’s just a file on my iPad!
Comic book layout can be crucial and demanding in so many ways. There are many factors to consider that writers coming from other mediums or less experienced may not even think to consider. For example, the page flip. If you want to surprise your audience with a big reveal, you never want it to be placed on an odd numbered page. With an odd numbered page, the readers eye quickly glances at the contents before reading the page immediately preceding it, thereby spoiling the surprise. Big moments that you want to hit your audience with the most impact have to occur immediately after the page turn, which is usually going to be an even numbered page. The one thing that can throw this off is the placement of advertisements. Fortunately, I also get to control all of that, so it greatly aids the planning stage. And I do plan on having some advertisements, although don’t expect them all to be “real.” Advertising placement in comic books has dwindled over the years as circulations have fallen and publication has moved more into the realm of compilations and digital editions. But for me, they remain an aspect of the vintage and fun feeling that I hope to capture in this story. So be on the lookout for some fun advertising parodies and homages, some of which will tie into the world of “I Thought It Would Be Zombies…” to fill out and enhance the reading experience.
Over the past several months I’ve spent a lot of time experimenting and playing around with different software programs, digital tools and workflows. I’ve studied more on how to approach aspects such as coloring and lettering which are of course imperative to a quality finished product. This “virtual cork board” I’ve created here is my first step toward pulling together some of the disparate chunks of work I’ve already completed, and then making the plan of attack to start filling in the gaps. It will serve as an ongoing editing tool and quick visual check of progress. As you can see, there is a lot of work to go, but the pace is picking up with momentum. With luck and a lot of hard work, the finish of production should coincide well with a successful crowdfunding campaign!
So let’s have a look at that funding progress too!
This is the “I Thought It Would Be Zombies…” Fundition Campaign Update #3! As of this writing the campaign has been running for 12 days, and achieved 1.56% of it’s basic funding goal. There are further stretch goals as well, but I fully expect to hit them in the months to come. As always, for full information on the campaign you can visit the Official Fundition Page and also find updates and further content on the official site www.ithoughtitwouldbezombies.com. At the Fundition page, supporters can have a look at their own level of support on a regular basis, but I also like to keep an update here to say thanks and give a shout out to those great folks who are going to make this magical apocalypse possible!
Short and sweet… if you’re upvoting this post, you’re already participating in the funding campaign and may earn some rewards. Period.
B-Class Flare Tier
@la-fumettista has been joined by @drwatson in this tier which represents $10 USD of contributed value, and will receive both a digital and printed copy of issue #1! That’s 2 copies already “pre-sold!” No sarcasm here… every copy sold excites me to no end! Big thanks to these two and be sure to support their own comic project, Ithaqa, as well!
A-Class Flare Tier
Many more supporters are accruing value with their votes, and with consistent support will make their way into some fun campaign rewards in the weeks and months to come! A big thanks to everyone who is donating like @cryplectibles and supporting with each and every vote.
Plus, as I detailed the policy in my first campaign update, contributions accruing from voting entities such as @steempress-io and @fundition itself are already guaranteeing donations of comics and original art will be made to charities like the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund and the Hero Initiative, to help promote both the comic itself, and the wonderful projects of the Steem blockchain.
Alright, it’s back to the drafting board for me! There’s plenty of blanks up there to fill in, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Or pencil line. Definitely pencil line… I ain’t got time to walk right now!